MULTI-LANGUAGE EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT UNDERGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAM
The following program is an APPROVED and Designated program as an International Learning Program. This course is eligible to receive foreign nationals on a study permit. Designated Learning Institution Number O142243313422 is issued by the International Student Program, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Office.
Admission criteria for International Applicants:
1.) All Applicants must have graduated from High School (12th Standard), achieving a minimum mark in their 12th level of studies and received:
a.) A minimum of 65% overall within a Social Studies course (or equivalent)
b.) A minimum of 65% within Math (or equivalent)
c.) A minimum of 70% Overall in English, Language Arts
ALL High School marks must be certified by the issuing school.
2.) All students that have attended a post-secondary schooling must provide their credentials and show a PASS, credentials will be required to be certified by the issuing school and will be compared to the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) Criteria for the country of origin. To learn more about the IQAS Please CLICK HERE:
3.) All applicants MUST pass a pre-admission interview, (this is a fee-for-service) this is where you will provide evidence that you are fluent in reading, writing and speaking in English. Interviews will be arranged prior to formal application. To learn more about the interview assessment for English fluency please CLICK HERE.
Pre-Admission Interviews will require applicants to bring:
- Two personal references from a former employer or teacher indicating the applicant’s maturity and responsibility.
- Evidence of age (must be 19 years of age or older, exceptions may apply for those that apply at the age of 18 and turning 19 while in School)
- Transcript of ALL MARKS including high-school marks, post-secondary education, language proficiency exam results.
Transcripts will be utilized to assess the students ability within a classroom, pass and fail marks DO NOT result in rejection into the college.
Formal Application (Upon acceptance) will require the applicant to provide:
- To have the ability to have a valid passport for a minimum of 5 years, and never been denied entry into Canada.
- Proof of ability to acquire funds for a G.I.C (from a bank in India to Bank of Nova Scotia) A sponsorship letter or official documentation (notarized) indicating that the student can pay for the program and living expenses. Remember that you will have to show Canadian Immigration that you have a place that you can reside in while your enrolled in the program.
- An registration fee of $500.00 (applied to tuition cost once the student commences) to be provided before a letter of acceptance is issued (Payment is in Canadian Dollars and is to be paid online and directly to College via-bank transfer) ADMISSIONS ARE CAPPED
- For further reference please visit the “International Student Pathway” tab within this site.
Admission for Canadian Citizens:
To be eligible for Regular Admission, applicants must present a high school diploma with Grade 12 courses, or equivalents, such as General Education Development (GED) Test AND/OR required post-secondary courses or post-secondary credential with a PASS and have two letters of reference outlying the applicants character.
Apply as a “Mature Student” The Royal Alberta College defines “mature student” as an individual that is at least 19 years of age and has completed 10th Grade that has been out of school for a minimum of four (4) years and has related work experience within the program they wish to enroll in.
Start dates: January / March / September (based on enrollment)
Practicum: Students are required to complete a work practicum to graduate from this program. Practicums will be arranged by the student and the Practicum Coordinator. Arrangements have been made for the intake of students from The Royal Alberta College with the Edmonton Public School Board (EPSB) these placements will be offered to the top performing students. The remaining students will be placed in other early-learning environments; these practicums will be started by the student and then supported by the Practicum Coordinator.
Course overview : Within this program students will learn how to become multi-functional educational assistants that will support students as part of a multidisciplinary team. Students will learn from Alberta Certified Teachers and Alberta Educators on the required techniques on how to support teachers and other support personnel to provide meaningful instructional and non-instructional tasks. Admissions will be given preference to those applicants that have worked with children in a formal setting such as in a school, daycare, childcare, children’s hospital, children’s retail establishment.
This program will reduce the classroom ration of teachers to students by providing qualified and capable assistants that also can offer further assistance to newcomers and recently settled immigrants in Alberta.
The course curriculum is delivered entirely in English, yet the focus is for those students that have a working knowledge of other languages other than English as their primary language, the preferable secondary languages include, are listed in the course outline.
The following “ideal traits” have compiled from interviews with Alberta Certified Teachers and School Administrators on what they deem as ideal for a person to have to be effective within a classroom setting.
This list is not inclusive, as these “ideal traits” will continue to evolve, yet this list should provide you with a firm understanding of what are the minimal requirements; which include and are not limited to:
- Students must already have an interest in working with children, admissions will be given preference to those applicants that have worked with children in a formal setting (school, daycare, childcare, children’s hospital)
- Students must have the ability to communicate in English effectively.
Students must have an understanding of technology and how to author documentation.
- Students must showcase empathy, have tolerance, patience and be understanding of other people’s needs.
- Students must be compassionate and understanding while working with children who have learning, physical or psychological needs.
- Students cannot sit and wait for direction, and they must be proactive in having the ability to work independently.
- Students must have the willingness and the ability to learn new things and systems.
- Students must have confidence and be able to articulate their thoughts professionally to all stakeholders at all times.
Over 15,700 Albertans are employed in the Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants occupational group. This group is expected to have a below-average annual growth of 1.5% from 2016 to 2020. As a result, 236 new positions are forecast to be created each year, in addition to job openings created by employment turnover. Note: As educational assistants form only a part of this larger occupational group, only some of these newly created positions will be for educational assistants.
Employment turnover is expected to increase as members of the baby boom generation retire over the next few years. To find out more click this Government of Alberta link: www.Alis.alberta.ca
Occupations for graduates (not inclusive):
- Educational Assistant,
- Educational Assistants’ Assistant
- Assistant To A Teachers Aide
- Child & Youth Care Worker,
- Children’s Festival Assistant
- Childrens Camp Assistant,
- Childrens Hospital Aide
- Childrens Recreational Assistant
- Community Services Assistant
- Parks & Recreation Attendant,
- Costumer Service Jobs Within The Childrens Service Industry
- Daycare Educator,
- Daycare Leader,
- Dayhome Assistant
- Government Family Care Services Aide
- Government Family Care Services Assistant,
- Outreach Worker.
- Parks & Recreation Attendant
- Pre-School Assistant,
- Primary School Classroom Assistant
- Program Leader,
- School Assistant,
- Senior Care Assistant
There are more than thirty job sites in Canada, and dozens in Alberta; we have these credible sites to provide you current statisical information on jobs for Educational Assistants (Be certain to expand your search):
** It should be noted that the students that graduate from the Educational Assistant program will be able to apply for occupations in several other professions are not limited to only being an Educational Assistant.