Author Archives: TheDean

Resources from Facebook for International Applicants

Resources from Facebook for International Applicants

The information on this page is the same as the information provided to you from our college Facebook messenger teams.

International applicants MUST read ALL information on this page

IF you have a question that is NOT answered in the information provided to you, then please engage us through the proper Facebook page.

After you have completed reading the information on this page, you should become aware on how to apply for an interview (on Page 9 of the “A – Questions & Answers (Q&A) Final.” -We will await for you to engage us, we will NOT engage you.

A- Questions & Answers (Q&A) final JAN 10 2020

B- General info sheet for international students

C- Multi-language Educational Assistant (MEA) INFORMATION SHEET

D- Business Administration and Applied Communication with a Minor (BAC) PROGRAM INFORMATION SHEET


Potential jobs for graduates

Within this section, you will find job postings that are related to the fields of education that are offered at the college.

As all colleges in Canada, we do not guarantee employment after graduation, yet we make it a priority to enable our students to become employable through our continued job placement programs and by working with our career placement advisor(s).

We have these credible sites to provide you current information on jobs for Educational Assistants:

There are more than thirty job sites in Canada, and dozens in Alberta; be certain to expand your search.

Holidays that are observed

Holidays that are observed in 2019

New Years Day                             Jan 1
India Bhogi/Lohri                         Jan 13
India’s Republic Day                    Jan 26
Alberta Family Day                      Feb 18
India Holi                                       March 21-22
Good Friday                                  April 19
Easter Monday                             April 22
Victoria Day                                   May 20
Canada Day                                   July 1
Heritage Day                                 Aug 5
India’s Independence Day          Aug 15
Labour Day                                   Sept 2
India Gandhi Jayanti                     Oct 2
Thanksgiving Day                          Oct 14
India Diwali                                    Oct 27
Remembrance Day                    Nov 11
Christmas Day                           Dec 25
Boxing Day                                 Dec 26
Summer holidays                     No classes between June
Fall holidays                               No classes between xyz and yzx
Winter Holidays                         No classes between xxb and xnx

Working for money while attending school

Independent Work While Attending School

A very large majority of students in Canada work a part-time job while attending school. By attending an accredited and/or a recognized school, you are permitted to work for money through your student visa at a predetermined amount of hours per week that is set by the government.

Since practicums are non-paid (as it is a part of your educational training); we encourage those students that are permitted to work, to apply for jobs in the customer service, retail and food sectors with a national or international chain such as A&W, McDonald’s, Tim Hortins, Sport Check, Winners, Walmart, The Bay, Best Buy and other well-respected chains; this will provide students an opportunity to gain some “pocket money” for expenses.

Take-away restaurants tend to accommodate hours for students; most importantly these national chains pay on time and will not cause hassles for their employees as they do not wish to have a negative perception in the community.

It is vital that you understand the rules and abide by the regulations for the number of hours that you are permitted to work per week. As an International Student you should not work more than you are permitted!

The Importance of Working Legally

Thousands of students graduate from schools across Canada, and can not find work due to not having any work experience. This is even more evident with International Students who lack work experience in Canada. We are aware of many international students from other academic institutions that have become so desperate for work experience and fallen victim of business people who act as predators.

There are many unethical businesses that “hire” students, knowing that they are desperate for work experience and do so on an undeclared cash-only basis. These predator businesses pay less than the provincially regulated minimum wage, demanding the students work hours beyond the allowed times that are permitted on the student work-permit and forcing students to do unpaid training for months. Most of the time these unethical businesses do not pay at all.

This is a very dangerous predicament for International Students, especially those that wish to apply for permanent residency (PR).

To apply for PR, students must obey the rules of Canadian law in all aspects.
Working for undeclared cash is illegal and reporting your earnings on a job site is a requirement by Canadian Tax and Employment Laws.

If you are working legally, then you will receive two important documents that will assist you in your pursuit for PR.

1.) The first is a T4 document that states the taxes that have been deducted;

2.) The second is an ROE (record of employment) which indicates the employers’ name and taxes paid.

These two documents will prove to the Government of Canada that the student has worked legally and is contributing to the Canadian Tax system thereby is a contributing member to Canadian society.

We are aware of many cases of international students from other post-secondary institutions that have worked beyond their allowed hours, or have worked for undeclared cash and have been deported, and will not be permitted to return to Canada.

This is why we have created the work practicum placement program allowing students to place their practicum experience within their resume/cv showing that they have supervised experience from an Alberta employer.

All students attending The Royal Alberta College and wish to work while attending college should visit this link provided by the Government of Canada:

To understand the rules and regulations for International Students.

Here are some useful URL’s that will provide you with insight on the topics expressed on this page.


The Royal Alberta College provides students with much-needed work experience where students can apply their classroom knowledge in a real work environment to add on their resume.

Preparing for your arrival

Before You Leave

Arrange accommodation  Within the  “Information RE: Housing for International Students” Tab under the “prospective students section” you will need to find accommodation, here are the links to sites that will be able to assist you, these are not a complete list, so spend time and search extensively for your accommodation, if several of you are attending the college together then live together.

  • Facebook Marketplace (accessible through your Facebook account) Use the terms “edmonton apartments” or “edmonton rentals” or “edmonton rental properties”
  • Kijiji
  • Boardwalk Property Rentals
  • Westcorp (Ideal for a group of students to rent together)

Check airline baggage restrictions

Transportation from Airport: Plan your transportation for your arrival and from the airport to your destination ahead of time:

Sky Shuttle: The Sky Shuttle pick-up point is located on the Arrivals Level, next to door 3 or 9. For more information on costs and schedules, visit their website at:

Uber: Does not operate from the Edmonton International Airport

Bus: The Edmonton Transit, has a direct bus the “747” and costs $5.00 (cash only) this bus also has free Wi-Fi, it is direct from the Airport to Downtown Edmonton, please refer to this link:

Taxi: The check-in counter and waiting area are located on the Arrivals Level of the airport. Taxis cost between $70 – $90 from the airport to downtown Edmonton, the rates are specified by “zones.”

Banking: Decide on banking arrangements and prepare a budget and arrange for extra money (cash and credit card) in case of an emergency and be certain to have evidence of adequate funds for immigration services.

Have an emergency contact: Arrange an emergency contact in Canada or your home country

Pack properly: Pack suitable clothing (in summer temperatures range from 20 to 25°C. In winter temperatures can drop below -30°C)

Cooking: You may miss eating some tradition home cooked foods, and it is very costly to eat out frequentyl, so it is best to learn how to cook several recipe!

What to Bring with You

  • A valid passport (and Temporary Resident Visa or eTA if required)
  • Your Offer of Admission/Letter of Acceptance
  • The letter that you received from the visa office when your Study Permit was approved (this letter contains your Study Permit
  • reference number and the immigration officer needs this letter)
  • Original transcripts (educational documents)
  • Other official identification (driver’s license, etc.)
  • Any medical records and medical prescriptions (insert link)
  • Canadian currency for the first few days ($200-300 smaller bills 10’s 20s’)
  • References from your previous employers or teachers if you are planning to seek employment in Canada

Immigration Information and Requirements when you arrive!

Study Permits

Almost all international students planning to study at The Royal Alberta College must apply for a Study Permit. To find out if you require a Study Permit, please check the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website:

Applying for a Study Permit (2018 info)

It can take months to process your Study Permit application—apply early! Contact the Canadian embassy, consulate or immigration office nearest you and ask for Study Permit application procedures and processing times.

For all information regarding Study Permits, visas, and work permits, see the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website:

When You Arrive –Immigration Officials (Customs)

Be sure to have all of your documents prior to leaving home. Do not pack the original copies in your checked luggage; carry these items with you at all times. The documents you may be asked to show when you enter Canada include:

      • A valid passport or travel document
      • The letter that you received from the visa office when your Study Permit was approved
      • A Temporary Resident Visa or eTA (if required)
      • Your Offer of Admission/ Letter of Acceptance from Alberta College
      • Proof of adequate funds
    • Provide all required entry documents to Customs and Immigration upon arrival in Canada
    • Obtain your Study Permit from an immigration officer at the airport
    • Contact your family and emergency contacts to let them know you arrived safely
  • IMPORTANT: Keep all documents in a re-sealable folder in your carry-on or hand luggage for easy access while travelling. It is wise to scan these  documents (passport, visas, study permit, letters) and save an electronic copy, email them to yourself, AND leave another set of documents with your family in case you lose the originals.

    NOW you will need to:

    • Meet your advisor and formally enrol in your classes
    • Attend the New International Student Welcome and Orientation seminar
    • Register for Alberta Health Care (if you plan to stay in Canada 12 months or longer – if you plan to stay less than 12 months, purchase health insurance before coming to Canada)
    • Open a bank account upon your arrival in Edmonton. The Office of the Licensee can help you connect with a banking representative whom will understand your banking needs as an international student, also read about the banking differences <insert link>


      • TD Canada Trust
      • Servus Credit Union
      • RBC Royal Bank
      • Scotiabank
      • CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce)

* In Alberta, the 5% national Goods and Services Tax (GST) is added to the displayed cost of most In other provinces of Canada, a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) or a Provincial Sales Tax (PST) may be added.

Living in Edmonton!

Living in Edmonton

[metaslider id=467]


The City of Edmonton

Edmonton is the capital city of Alberta, with many museums, art galleries, live music, live theatre, festivals, sporting events and is the heart of multiculturalism. There’s so much to see and do in your new home while studying at Alberta College.

Alberta College selected to be located near the downtown region of Edmonton, you only have to travel a few blocks through our vibrant, multicultural city to take in all kinds of attractions and events or to make your way to the beautiful North Saskatchewan River Valley.

Use these links to learn more:




Be certain to speak with your Academic Advisor to see if there are student discounts for events in the City.

Alberta and Canada

Home to a diverse range of people and landscapes, our province includes five of Canada’s 13 UNESCO World Heritage sites, two renowned dinosaur museums and the Calgary Stampede, also known as the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth.

You can spend your weekends skiing in the Rocky Mountains, learning about Aboriginal culture at the Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump Interpretive Centre or gazing up at the dazzling displays of light and colour of the northern lights.